Collaborative identification and interpretation of practice problems is a requirement of professional practice (AACN, 2008). Locating and summarizing findings using credible online databases is necessary for evidence-based nursing (AACN, 2008; QSEN, 2020). This assignment provides a learning activity for students to experience a practice-based scenario and apply a process worksheet designed to assist in the identification of an independent nursing problem or concern, develop a PICOT clinical question, and search for evidence using credible online databases/sources.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes.
CO 1: Examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO 7)
CO 2: Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (POs 4 & 8)
CO 4: Evaluate published nursing research for credibility and significance related to evidence-based practice. (POs 4 & 8)
CO 5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (POs 7 & 8)
Submit the completed PPE Worksheet by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 3.
This assignment is worth 175 points.
- Read over each of the following directions.
- You must read the Assignment Practice Scenario below before completing the PPE Worksheet.
- Download and use the required PPE Worksheet .
- Review the information provided in our library of how to search for journal articles here .
- Review the information provided in our library of how to locate and copy a journal permalink .
- You are required to complete the worksheet using the productivity tools required by Chamberlain University, which is Microsoft Office Word 2013 (or later version), or Windows and Office 2011 (or later version) for MAC. You must save the file in the “.docx” format. Do NOT save as Word Pad. A later version of the productivity tool includes Office 365, which is available to Chamberlain students for FREE by downloading from the student portal at http://my.chamberlain.edu . Click on the envelope at the top of the page.
- Complete each section of the Problem/PICOT/Evidence (PPE) Worksheet. For the Clinical PICOT Question,use the NR439 Guide for writing PICOT Questions and Examples . Use one of the templates/guides to write your Clinical PICOT Question using all of the PICOT elements. Be sure to include the PICOT letters in your question.
- Be sure to use the rubric to make certain you are meeting all grading criteria of the PPE Worksheet.
- Submit the completed PPE Worksheet on the Week 3 Assignment page.
- Students, A short tutorial with tips for completing the Week 3 Problem/PICOT/Evidence Search (PPE) worksheet assignment may be viewed here.
Assignment Practice Scenario
Your Chief Nurse Executive (CNE) recognizes you are pursuing your BSN and has asked you to be a member of the nursing evidence-based practice (NEBP) committee. She has advised the members that the purpose is to conduct nursing research studies involving clinical practice problems. Increasing nurses’ awareness of quality and safety concerns will help develop an attitude of inquiry and asking questions (Sherwood & Barnsteiner, 2017). Baccalaureate nurses “collaborate in problem identification, participate in the process of search, retrieval, and documentation of evidence, and integrate evidence using credible databases and internet resources” (AACN, 2008, pp. 16-17).
The CNE has advised all members of the following areas of quality and safety clinical practice that each committee member needs to consider and choose only one as a priority area for conducting a research study. Sources of research problems come from nursing clinical practice (Houser, 2018):
|Errors. Examples include:
|Healthcare Associated Infections (HAIs).
Your CNE has requested that you select ONLY one topic area and complete the PPE Worksheet using only one topic area. The committee will collaborate and decide as a team which nursing clinical problem area will be the priority focus of their next research study. Thank you for your valuable contributions to this important NEBP committee.
- For questions about this assignment, please contact your instructor.
- Spell check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
- Please see the grading criteria and rubrics on this page.
- Please use your browser’s File setting to save or print this page.
Scholarly Sources and Citations
- Use APA format in citations and references.
American Association of Colleges of Nurses. (2008). Executive summary: The essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice. http://www.aacnnursing.org/Education-Resources/AACN-Essentials
Houser, J. (2018). Nursing research: Reading, using, and creating evidence (4th ed.). Jones and Bartlett.
Sherwood, G., & Barnsteiner, J. (2017). Quality and safety in nursing: A competency approach to improving outcomes (2nd ed.). Wiley-Blackwell.
Quality and Safety Education for Nurses. (2018). QSEN knowledge, skills, and attitude competencies. http://qsen.org/competencies/pre-licensure-ksas/
NR439 PPE Worksheet Rubric
|NR439 PPE Worksheet Rubric
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Clinical Nursing Practice Problem
Select and identify only one quality or safety clinical priority area from the assignment guidelines practice scenario. Summarize why you believe the nursing practice problem/issue is the most important. Summarize your rationale (why) for choosing the problem.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Clinical Nursing PICOT Question
Clinical Nursing PICOT Question
Using the NR439 Guide for writing PICOT Questions and Examples located in the assignment guidelines, write out your PICOT question. Include each letter of the PICOT in your question.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Define PICOT Elements
Define each of the elements from your above clinical PICOT question.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Evidence Retrieval Process and Summary
Using only the Chamberlain College of Nursing library:
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Implications of the Evidence
Summarize what you learned from the evidence.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Evidence Search Terms
Identifies 4 (or more) relevant searchable terms you used for your search for evidence.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Evidence Search Strategies
Identifies 4 (or more) relevant search strategies you used to narrow/limit your search for evidence.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Scholarly Writing, Mechanics, Organization, Spelling, Sentence Structure, Grammar
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome APA In-Text Formatting for Cited Sentences
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Assigned PPE Worksheet Used
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Late deduction
|Total Points: 175