Your purchase includes 10 DIFFERENT discussion response options for this prompt so you can get different ideas to work with.
All answers are tutor-verified!
Case Study: A 65-year-old woman was just been diagnosed with Stage 3 non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. She was informed of this diagnosis in her primary care physician’s office. She leaves her physician’s office and goes home to review all of her tests and lab results with her family. She goes home and logs into her PHR. She is only able to pull up a portion of her test results. She calls her physician’s office with this concern. The office staff discussed that she had part of her lab work completed at a lab not connected to the organization, part was completed at the emergency room, and part was completed in the lab that is part of the doctor’s office organization.
The above scenario might be a scenario that you have commonly worked with in clinical practice. For many reasons, patients often receive healthcare from multiple organizations that might have different systems.
As you review this scenario, reflect and answer these questions for this discussion.
- What are the pros and cons of the situation in the case study?
- What safeguards are included in patient portals and PHRs to help patients and healthcare professionals ensure safety?
- Do you agree or disagree with the way that a patient obtains Personal Health Records (PHRs)?
- What are challenges for patients that do not have access to all of the PHRs? Remember, only portions of the EHRs are typically included in the PHRs.
This week’s graded discussion topic relates to the following Course Outcomes (COs).
- CO4 Investigate safeguards and decision-making support tools embedded in patient care technologies and information systems to support a safe practice environment for both patients and healthcare workers. (PO 4)
- CO5 Identify patient care technologies, information systems, and communication devices that support safe nursing practice. (PO 5)
- During the assigned week (Sunday the start of the assigned week through Sunday the end of the assigned week):
- Posts in the discussion at least two times, and
- Posts in the discussion on two different days
- Discussions are designed to promote dialogue between faculty and students, and students and their peers. In discussions students:
- Demonstrate understanding of concepts for the week
- Integrate outside scholarly sources when required
- Engage in meaningful dialogue with classmates and/or instructor
- Express opinions clearly and logically, in a professional manner
- Use the rubric on this page as you compose your answers.
- Best Practices include:
- Participation early in the week is encouraged to stimulate meaningful discussion among classmates and instructor.
- Enter the discussion often during the week to read and learn from posts.
- Select different classmates for your reply each week.
To view the grading criteria/rubric, please click on the 3 dots in the box at the end of the solid gray bar above the discussion board title and then Show Rubric. See Syllabus for Grading Rubric Definitions.
Discussion Response 1
With more and more availability of Personal Health Records (PHR) to patients, more pros and cons of PHR are being studied. Lester et al. mentioned that “PHR has raised the……………………………. (Purchase to access this and 9 more TUTOR VERIFIED discussion responses to this week’s prompt)