(BEST VALUE – Your purchase includes 10 discussion responses that you can choose from)
Week 2 Discussion: Humble yet Assertive? Agreeing with Opponents? Concession and Refutation, and Workshopping toward Your Week 2 Assignment
With your specific argument stance (thesis/claim) in mind, locate one scholarly source with opinions that do not agree with your own stance. Using Toulmin’s model, demonstrate the use of concession and refutation to rebut an opposing viewpoint, keeping in mind the importance of a humble yet assertive tone.
Steps: In 2 rich paragraphs, answer the following as related to your stance for your argument essay:
- Locate a specific opposing point within the article: Note one point in this article that opposes your stance, using proper source integration and citation techniques.
- Concession: Although the point is in opposition to your own stance, describe the merits of the point. What elements of the point do you see as valid? Who in your own audience might agree with this opposing source and why?
- Refutation: Although you are able to find merits to the point and to see that some readers may agree with this opposing viewpoint, how will you refute the point? What might you say and do to convince readers that despite holding some merit, the viewpoint is not as valid or useful as your own stance on the issue? How will your approach to this opposing viewpoint influence your audience’s reaction to your essay? Remember to use correct quotation or paraphrasing techniques with correct APA in-text citation.
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 3 and pp. 94-107, 295-297, and 306, 337-356
- Research Tutorial
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Apply the following writing resources to your assignment:
- Link (website): APA Citation and Writing
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond with depth and substance to at least one peer, thoroughly answering the following:
- In reviewing your peer’s concession to and refutation of their chosen opposing article, note specific ways in which your peer utilized concession and refutation well.
- Then, note specific ways in which your peer might employ concession and refutation in more powerful or different ways.
Remember, the goal here is to find multiple perspectives, but those perspectives should be both professional and respectful. Ask questions to keep the conversation going.
Note: If you see that someone has already received feedback from two peers, please choose to help a peer who has yet to obtain feedback. Check back regularly and reply to those who have responded to you, including any classmates and/or your instructor.
- Minimum of 2 posts (1 initial & 1 follow-up)
- Initial Post Length: minimum of 2 college-level paragraphs
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
- Link (webpage): Discussion Guidelines
Course Outcomes (CO): 1, 2, 5
Due Date for Initial Post: By 11:59 p.m. MT Recommended by Wednesday
Due Date for Follow-Up Posts: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday
Posts must be on two separate days.