CCJ5078 – Assignment 3 – Crime Mapping
The readings in this unit describe the growing use of crime mapping in police work. As a professional in the criminal justice system, or in the field of criminology in general, it is increasingly important to be able to effectively evaluate a crime map. For this assignment, you must find an academic journal article or government report that presents at least one crime map. Write a paper that describes one of the maps in the following ways:
- In your own words, give a thorough explanation of what the map conveys. This can include the stated purposes of the map, or your own interpretation of what it conveys, or both. However, it is important that you be thorough, and that you put it into your own words rather than simply repeating what the authors wrote.
- Identify shortcomings in the map. For example, could it have been more effective if it included other information? Is it confusing? Is it poorly structured?
- Describe the ways in which the use of a map is more effective in this instance than if the author had used a table, simple description, or some other form of analysis. What does the map allow the author to show that could not have been shown some other way?
You will write this in the form of a 3-4 page paper following the outline provided below. Be sure to thoroughly address each of the components listed above. You must write with correct grammar and punctuation, and at a level suitable for a graduate course. Failure to do so will result in a loss of points. Also, at the end of your paper, include a full bibliographic reference for the source of your map so we can find the map and examine it alongside your paper. Refer to the instructions provided below for finding an article using Google Scholar. You might try searching for terms like “robbery map” or “violent crime map.” Keep in mind that not all maps will be easily interpretable for this assignment, so you might not want to choose the first one you find. Also refer to the instructions provided below for the appropriate formatting of your reference.
- Your paper must be submitted as a MS Word document or PDF
- Your paper must be double-spaced using 12pt Times New Roman font
- All pages must have a margin of 1” on all sides.
- Type your name in the header of your document.
- Do not include a title page.
- introduction (approx. 2-3 paragraphs)
- brief discussion of spatial analysis in policing
- purpose of this paper
- body (approx. 2 pages)
- conclusion (approx. 2-3 paragraphs)
- summary of what you learned about using maps to convey information
- statement about the importance of, and/or caution required when, using maps
- bibliographic reference for the article or report providing the map (on separate page – not included in the 3-4 page total)