Pick one (1) of the following topics. Then, address the corresponding questions/prompts for your selected topic:
Option 1: Exploration and Effects on Native Americans
- Explain what motivated the European world powers to explore the Americas.
- Describe the economic effects of exploration based on the Colombian exchange.
- Analyze the effects of exploration on Native Americans.
- Based on research, analyze if Europeans might be held accountable for transmitting Old World diseases to people in the Western Hemisphere.
Option 2: Slavery vs. Indentured Servitude
- Explain how and why slavery developed in the American colonies.
- Describe in what ways the practice of slavery was different between each colonial region in British North America.
- Analyze the differences between slaves and indentured servants.
Option 3: Women in Colonial America
- Pick two colonies (New England, Middle, or Southern colonies) and explain how women’s roles differ in the two colonies of your choice.
- Describe what legal rights women held during the colonial period.
- Analyze how Native women’s lives were different from colonial women’s lives.
Make sure to use your course text and incorporate an additional scholarly source from the Chamberlain Library in your response.
- Length: 1-2 pages (not including title page or references page)
- Use standard essay writing process by including an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
- References page (minimum of 1 scholarly source)
- No abstract is required
- In-text citations that correspond with your end references
How women’s roles differed between New England and Southern colonies
Women’s roles in the New England colonies were primarily centred on domestic and familial duties, including running the home, rearing children, and overseeing the land or business operations. In these colonies, women were expected to follow the Puritan principles of piety, decorum, and productivity. Part of the Puritan religious principles was for instance shown in how women were considered weaker and hence susceptible to the devil and even got executed such as during the case of Salem Village in 1692 (Corbett et al., 2021, p. 83).
In contrast, women in the Southern colonies, particularly those living in the [PURCHASE TO VIEW FULL THE SOLUTION]